Wednesday, February 26, 2014

HEALTHY Protein Shamrock Shake

Valentine's Day is over, February is wrapping up, and the weather is completely bipolar. That could only mean March is on its way. And do you know what March means? SHAMROCK SHAKES.

Shamrock Shakes have always been one of my favorite guilty pleasures during the month of March. However, I recently looked at the ingredients in a Shamrock Shake, and the list made me sick. I couldn't even pronounce half of the ingredients (never a good sign). Shamrock Shakes are loaded with dyes, preservatives, artificial flavors, and carrageenan: a thickener made from seaweed and algae that sounds pretty harmless, but is a possible human carcinogen. Yikes! Oh, and the World Health Organization advises this additive isn't fed to infants. But hey, let's feed it to adults and children. No big. There is a total of 54 ingredients in that 22 oz. plastic cup of green minty "awesomeness." 54?! WHAAAAT?! It's 820 calories with 23 grams of fat.

For girl who loves health and fitness, this simply won't do. So I created a healthy protein Shamrock Shake that was delicious.



I know, I know... I'm a genius.

Just kidding... this has totally been done before, but I chose to make my own recipe based off what I had in my house! And as opposed to 54 ingredients, mine has 6. Booyah.

Ingredients:

- 1 cup vanilla almond milk (my favorite is Califia Farms. This one is sweetened, but only has 3 grams of sugar. Super delicious and creamy)

- 1 scoop whey vanilla protein (whey is preferable as it will give the shake a creamy consistency. I used Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey French Vanilla Creme)

- 1 packet Truvia

- 1 cup ice

- 2 drops peppermint extract

- handful of baby kale leaves (Instead of green dye! You can't even taste it! You could also use spinach)

Blend all the ingredients in a blender until smooth. If you like, top with some organic whipped cream :)

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment