Saturday, March 15, 2014

The Thigh Gap Debacle

Incase you missed it, a Target photoshop fail went VIRAL this past week, showing a botched photoshop job on a beautiful model's arms and thighs.

The Internet learned of the fail when blogger, Cassey Ho, certified fitness instructor & creator of Blogilates and POP Pilates, posted about the photoshopped model while she was checking out Target's swimsuits. Soon enough, the story was on several other blogs and websites, including the Huffington Post.


Look! What a cute swimsuit! I'm loving the style of this top... but wait, let's zoom in.


I spy three wrong things here. #1... why is one arm drastically skinnier than the other arm?

#2 I don't know what happened to this girl's hoo-ha... but ouch. I didn't know box shaped vaginas were in!



#3 There is a dagger coming out of her armpit. That is... painful.

Why, why, WHY is this beautiful girl's body being decimated?!

Because for a while now, the world has become obsessed with thigh gaps and bikini bridges.


As we white girls in America say... "Staaaahp, I caaaaaaaaaaaaaaan't."


When I saw the blog post on Cassey Ho's website, this was the reaction I posted on my Facebook:

"Having a thigh gap doesn't make you pretty. Having a good heart and self confidence does."

Like, WHAT, TELL ME WHAT, is so desirable about a thigh gap?! Do ya need a breeze between your legs? No. No you don't.

And really, back to Target for a second, WHO THE HECK was hired to do that photoshop job? Lately the Internet has been taking a stand to battle Eating Disorders. It's great to see some companies taking a stand and wanting to make a change. This is what happens when you search "thinspo" on Pinterest.
Heck yeah, Pinterest. Good job!

Everyone in America knows, and loves, Target. I can't go in there without spending an entire paycheck. It's sad to see such a big, influential company using their power to CHANGE a woman's body in such a negative way. This bathing suit was from the Junior's department, meaning young girls were looking at this model thinking, "wow, look at her body. I want to look like that." Notice I'm using past tense? Target removed the model and swimsuit from their website.

Here's the moral of the story:

Box shaped vaginas are painful, so are daggers coming out of your armpits, and thigh gaps are not a sign of beauty. If you do or don't have a gap between your thighs, it doesn't matter. What makes a person beautiful is being caring, loving, and kind. I find girls with self confidence and a kind heart to be the prettiest. It's those girls, in my opinion, that shine.




1 comment:

  1. YES!!!!! Totally agree, fab post. Drives me NUTS this is what they're making girls drive themselves crazy for.... ridiculous! xoxo

    B

    www.feixy.me

    ReplyDelete