Monday, February 10, 2014

How I'm staying healthy on my vacation (and this week's music)!

Hope everyone had a good Monday! I'm currently getting ready to go on a weekend getaway to visit my little in Santa Barbara from Thursday through Monday. And guess what... we're going to DISNEYLAND! EEEEEK (my crack).

One of my mottos when it comes to fitness is "everything in moderation." I feel like if you completely deprive yourself of treats, you're eventually going to binge eat a whole lot of them in one sitting. I'm speaking from experience. I believe this motto is especially true when you're on vacation. You're on vacation! Relax a little! Don't over think it ;)

This summer I went on a 10 day trip to Sicily and my biggest concern was if I was going to have to be rolled back onto the plane due to a surplus of pasta, gelato and cannoli. I packed a few work out clothes, my sneakers, my favorite work out dvd... and 3 lb. weights until my parents called me crazy and I was forced to take the weights out of my luggage.

Well, good thing I didn't pack them because I didn't work out ONCE in Italy. I was too busy enjoying myself, meeting my family and stuffing pasta pesto in my face to care about cardio. Plus I was walking all over those cobblestone streets, and let me tell you, that's a workout in itself. Especially in wedges.

I didn't gain any weight in Italy. Actually, I felt like I lost weight. See, the Italians only have an espresso for breakfast, have a really big lunch, and then a small dinner very late at night. That was how I ate for 10 days. Not how I usually eat.

Now I'm not suggesting you all eat like that! I stick to 5-6 small meals a day to keep my metabolism going. But anyway, back to being healthy on vacation...

So yeah, I'm going to California on Thursday! I've been doing such a great job with eating healthy and my workout regimen, I don't want to lose the flow of things. Here's my plan.

1) I'm not packing workout DVDs. Lesson learned from Italy. But I am packing my most supportive sneakers and one workout outfit. My little and I are planning on getting a hike in, and if I have the opportunity to go for a quick jog or a walk in the morning, I'm gonna take it! Better to be safe than sorry :) And besides the hike, we're going surfing one day AND there's going to be so much walking in Disneyland! When I go on trips to Disney World, I have to stretch in the morning, throughout the day and every night before bed to prevent aches from all the walking. When you go on vacation, try to plan something fun and active that you can do! Find a yoga class, or Soul Cycle, nearby! Go for a hike if there's a good place for it! If you're walking a lot on your vacation... you are set :)

2) I'm packing all da snacks. ALL DA SNACKS. This is really nothing new for me. If you look in my current bag there's like, 2 Quest bars and a Luna bar in there. I'm always prepared to have a meal on the go. I'll be on a 5-6 hour flight, and I know those JetBlue snacks. Blue potato chips and some animal crackers. I'll be ready to go with my Luna bars, Larabars, Quest Bars, to-go packets of Perfect Fit Protein, and some packets of almonds. I'll probably also pick up a salad or sandwich in the airport since it's such a long flight. And no I'm not eating all those snacks on the flight! They're for throughout the 5 days I'm away! My other motto is "plan ahead, or plan to fail." I'm planning ahead with my snacks! I'm planning on sticking to 5-6 meals a day as best as possible.

3) I'm indulging. It's vacation. I am not going to get mad at myself or feel guilty for having any treats. I'm there to enjoy myself, PLUS I've worked incredibly hard this past month. I've earned it. You CANNOT stop me from having a Dole Whip in Disneyland. I repeat, you cannot.

When I'm returning, I'm going right back to my old routine. I'm not going into some kinda of slump!

So that's how I'm planning on staying healthy on vacation. Here's some tunes I'm listening to this week when I work out:

Ain't a Party - David Guetta & Glowinthedark feat. Harrison

I'd Do Anything - Simple Plan

Call Your Girlfriend - Robyn

Love Somebody - Maroon 5

Counting Stars - OneRepublic (this is always a go to for me for cardio!)


Neon Lights - Demi Lovato


Anything Could Happen - Ellie Goulding


99 Problems - JAY-Z


Popular Song - Mika feat. Ariana Grande


And I miss AHS Coven... So here's a good cool down:
Seven Wonders - Fleetwood Mac


No comments:

Post a Comment