Monday, February 3, 2014

How to tackle a 5:30 am workout & this week's playlist!

The biggest question I get asked is, "how do you have time to workout?" The biggest complaint I hear is, "I don't have time to workout."

1) I don't "have" time to workout. I make time.
2) You can make time too! It's hard at first, I know. I really, really know the struggle. But it is possible!

If I can make time, you can make time. You have to WANT it though. If you have no motivation to change your lifestyle and become fit, I can't help you. You need to find that motivation within yourself

I'm sorry if this sounds bossy or rude, I'm being honest.

BUT BUT BUT!!! I have tips!! Yay, tips! I'll tell you how I tackle a 5:30 am workout with my busy schedule.

Let me tell you about my schedule: I'm in graduate school. That should be a good enough explanation to show how busy I am. But I intern in a hospital 3 days a week, go to graduate classes, and work part-time in retail. Plus I'm studying all the time, doing homework, and preparing to take my Praxis, which is like, REALLY, REALLY IMPORTANT.

Last semester I did 5:30 am workouts Monday through Friday. This semester my 5:30 am workouts are Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I workout at these times because I have to be at interning at 8 am. I leave plenty of time for me to do 30 minutes of cardio, stretch, shower, get ready, AND eat breakfast. The last step is important! DON'T SKIP BREAKFAST!

Here's how I do it:

1) My gym bag is ready to go the night before. If you missed it, here's my post on what's in my gym bag!

2) I sleep in my workout clothes. Yep. You read correctly. This is mainly because I get really cold in the morning and I cannot allow myself to be undressed for even a second. In the warmer months, I lay out my clothes the night before. Fail to plan or plan to fail.

3) I have a water bottle filled and I put it in the fridge the night before! I grab it on my way out the door.

4) If you use a heart rate monitor like me, don't moisten it with cold water. Use lukewarm water. Strapping a cold heart rate monitor across you chest first thing in the morning is NOT FUN.

5) Sounds cheesy, but I use Clean & Clear Morning Burst Cleanser right when I wake up. The fresh scent really is invigorating! 

6) I drink a glass of cold water before I leave for the gym. Wake up those internal organs, guys! Jump start that metabolism! No really, your metabolism gets a jumpstart because your body has to warm up the cold water in order for you to digest it properly.

7) I do 30 minutes of cardio. That's it. I am in and out of the gym like that. This is ONLY on the days when I am super jam packed, but it really helps! Afterwards I feel great! On mornings when I have more time, I do about 30 minutes of toning and 30 minutes of cardio. Or if I have time, I do my cardio in the morning and my toning in the afternoon. 

8) Ok, I'm not gonna tell you how to shower and do your make up and all that. But once you're ready for the day... HAVE BREAKFAST. SO SO SO IMPORTANT. My favorite quick breakfasts are:

-Overnight Oats (so great because I make them the night before and then I have no prep in the morning!)
-Protein Pancakes (Made the night before and then stored in the freezer)
-Trader Joe's Instant Oatmeal
-Honey Rice or Peanut Butter Puffins with almond milk



Having an awesome playlist also helps me get going in the morning! It's Music Monday! Here's what I'm listening to this week. Get ready for some of the best throwbacks ever:

Shake Ya Tailfeather - Nelly, P. Diddy, & Murphy Lee

Shoop - Salt-N-Peppa


Haven't Had Enough - Mariana's Trench



I Want You Back - Jackson 5



Team - Lorde


Talk Dirty - Jason Derulo



#GETITRIGHT - Miley Cyrus


4x4 - Miley Cyrus feat. Nelly

2 comments:

  1. i do a lot of these same things for an early morning workout!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha I do #2 and #3 too. They are essential to being able to get up in the morning. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete