Thursday, February 20, 2014

Beauty is a Beast: Looking Good While You Work Out!

Over the past year I've become what you would call a "gym rat." I do a lot of workouts at home, but I find myself at the gym at least 4 days a week. When I was a gym newbie, you would typically find me working out in my ratty, old Victoria's Secret yoga pants and one of my past recruitment shirts from my sorority days. However, being a part of Tone It Up has exposed me to all the cute workout gear that much of my TIU team and Karena & Katrina wear. I found myself at the gym often, so I figured I should look a little decent at the place I visit most! Now I have more workout clothes than regular clothes. I basically need a separate closet just for them!

So let's talk 3 things: clothes, hair and beauty.

1) Clothes

My favorite places to get my workout clothes are Lululemon, Target, Victoria's Secret, Old Navy, Marshall's and TJ Maxx.

Yeah, Lululemon had that see-thru yoga pants scandal, but don't roll your eyes. Lulu clothes are THE BEST. Have you ever had a gym wardrobe malfunction where you leggings keep sliding down? Or a major wedgie? Or dare I say it... camel toe?! Kiss those problems "bye-bye" with Lululemon. Their clothes don't ride, they don't slip, and their outdoor running gear is AMAZING. My body is always comfortable when I wear their gear outside, no matter how cold it is. The problem with Lulu is, it's very expensive. I can't shop there often. It's usually something I just treat myself to when something good has happened and I want to reward myself or if I worked a few extra shifts that month and have the extra funds. Also, I attack the sales rack. Be a smart shopper and shop the sale rack! Lulu clothes also last forever. I have a top and cropped leggings that I got back in 2010 when I started teaching Zumba. They still look brand spankin' new! No pilling, pulling, stretching or loose threads. And I'm small chested, so I can't speak for myself, but all my friends with big ta-ta's say the Lulu sports bras are the best for keeping your boobs at bay (did I really just say "boobs at bay?").

My latest Lulu obsession is the speed short *4-way stretch. I picked these babies up while I was in Cali! Plus a Forme Jacket and a headband that matches my new shorts ;)
Speed Short *4-way stretch

Forme Jacket (sale rack!)

My new shorts with a Lulu tank I bought last year. The tank has silverescent fabric... which wicks away sweat and stinky-ness! Yay freshness!


Another great place, that all the ladies love, is Victoria's Secret. In the past year, VS has upped their game in the VSX Sport line and their workout clothes are excellent, expensive. I hit this up when there's a sale or I have a gift card! The sports bras are amazing, and if you're small chested like me... there's padding in the sports bras... SO YOU CAN FOOL EVERYONE AT THE GYM MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Now... I could do a whole post on Target for other reasons, just because I'm pretty sure Target is heaven on earth. But if you've never perused Target's workout clothes section, you're missing out. The Champion line of gear has bright, magnificent colors, and almost every bra is reversible so you can change the color to match the rest of your outfit. I have several sports bras, running crops, and layering thermals from Champion. And they're all wonderful. Plus, they're affordable.

Old Navy, Marshall's and TJ Maxx: Obvious reason I buy gym clothes at these stores... SUPER AFFORDABLE! I have found so many great tops and yoga pants at these stores! And BONUS: the weights at Marshall's and TJ Maxx are super affordable. I suggest looking for weights there before buying them elsewhere. I got a 10 lb. kettlebell at TJ Maxx for $10!!! TEN DOLLARS!

2) Hair

Advice from a girl with curly hair: don't straighten your hair just before the gym. If you are working hair and sweating, it's going to curl again.

I do not "do my hair" for the gym. I do a basic ponytail or messy bun when I hit the gym. But remember those thick stretchy headbands your mom put in your hair as a kid? They're my best friend at the gym. I have so many colors that I can match them with an outfit and they keep hair out of my face.

And if you have to run out somewhere after the gym, use dry shampoo! I swear by dry shampoo. I have really thick hair and it takes forever to do my hair. When I go to the gym in the morning and have a busy day ahead of me, I'll shower with a shower cap and then spray my hair with dry shampoo after.

3) Beauty

Imma smack you if you wear a full face of makeup to the gym. You are clogging your pores with all that makeup and sweat! STAAAAAHHHHHP. Shame on you! That is so bad for your skin!

However, I can understand. I have had on and off acne for the past 4 years. I know how embarrassing it is to go out in public with a poor complexion. But wearing makeup while working out is only going to make things worse. If you feel like you must wear something on your face, use a BB or CC cream. On days where my complexion is horrendous or dull, and I'm just downright depressed about it, I put a thin layer of my Smashbox CC Cream on my face. It covers small pimples, brightens skin and color corrects acne scars. And it doesn't clog your pores. If you want a little extra, swipe on two coats of waterproof mascara. You should also immediately wash your face after a workout to get rid of all that sweat and bacteria! If you read my post "What's In My Gym Bag?" you know that I always have face wipes in my bag to clean my face immediately after a workout. I always wash my face thoroughly when I get home though!

I also always wear lip balm at the gym. Vaseline now makes a tinted lip balm if you're looking for something brighten up your smile :)


So there ya have it! Those are my tips for looking cute at the gym and where to buy gym clothes! So go and workout... ya little cutie! ;)

Note: I believe gym clothes should be cute... but never, ever, ever buy gym sneakers based on their level of "cuteness." Sneakers should be comfortable and give you support! I can't tell you how many cute sneakers I bought, and can't wear, because my feet hurt in them. Buy the shoes the works best for your feet.

1 comment:

  1. Those look really similar to the Hue Gym clothesthat I wear. I'll have to give those a try and compare them to see which I like better.

    ReplyDelete