Friday, January 24, 2014

Why am I so hangry?


Hangry (han-gree) adj. The state of anger caused by lack of food; hunger causing a negative change in emotional state. 

Hi, I'm Gabby. And if you ask my family, I'm pretty much always hangry. You're probably thinking, "she looks pretty happy in her picture? Hangry?" Yes, I'm generally a happy person, but when I'm hungry, I tend to lash out irrationally and act like a hungry baby dinosaur. I get even more hangry when my only options are unhealthy foods. It happens. I've taken maters into my own hands now, and I make sure I am always prepared so I won't be as hangry. And I'd like to share my tales of hangriness (or rather, lack thereof) with you.






I like to think I'm in a state of being called The Quarter Life Crisis. Okay, I don't "like" it, but that's what I'm in. In May of 2012, I graduated college. Wah, wah, sob, sob.  We all know graduating college SUCKS. Life after college really took a turn: I had a falling out with a best friend, I suffered from an unexpected break up, and I started... dun, dun, dun... GRAD SCHOOL. Folks, if there's hell on earth... it's graduate school. Seriously, no matter how passionate you are about your career (and believe me, I LOVE my career) grad school is NOT fun nor a walk in the park. I've had a lot of life changes and adjustments this past year; most of them really aggravating and/or depressing. I never gained the freshman 15 in college, but my party lifestyle/ serious relationship of senior year led to a serious case of the relationship gut/Senior 20 (that's what I'll call it). Between my weight gain and suddenly finding myself in this Quarter Life Crisis (can we call it QLC for short?) I started asking myself, "WHAT IS HAPPINESS? WHAT IS THE MEANING OF LIFE?" and suddenly that Stacie Orrico song "More to Life" (come on...you remember it from like...8th grade) seemed to apply to me. I knew I needed to make a change. I found my positive change in fitness & food.


Here it comes...

"Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make people happy. Happy people just don't shoot their husbands." - Elle Woods

Elle Woods is RIGHT. About a year ago I made a New Year's resolution I would run a 5K and commit myself to getting in better shape. I was at a point when I got out of breath from walking up stairs. I started doing interval running about 3-4 times a week and eventually, I ran my first 5K in July. Now I'm addicted to those endorphins I get from running and any type of cardio activity.

Last spring I discovered Tone It Up, this website run by fitness trainers Karena and Katrina who are just two gorgeous California gals that I totally want to drink with... I mean swap healthy recipes with. I followed their fitness routines, and when I started noticing a difference in my endurance when I worked out and the physical changes in my appearance, I decided to commit to buying their lifetime membership, which was the best money I've ever spent. I'M A BROKE GRAD STUDENT AND I REGRET NOTHING! Their program is a lifestyle change, not a diet, and although it's a big change, I got used to the new routine pretty fast. You should probably check out their website at ToneItUp.com. The workouts are FREE (yay!). And they have a bunch of recipes on their website too! You have not lived until you have tried their blueberry protein pancake. LIVED I SAY!

Anyway, the reason I've decided to start this blog is because I have found a lot of people coming to me for fitness tips, advice, and healthy spins on recipes. I'd like to provide that for all of you...in a blog.

One of my favorite things to make lately has been Protein Mug Cakes. Yep. It is exactly what it sounds like. It's a cake, made in a mug, and the cake is loaded with protein. HAAAAAAAAY. What could be better?
I'd like to give you all my first mug cake recipe. I've been attempting mug cakes for several months now and they have all exploded in the microwave or have came out tasting like chalky protein. This past week, I finally nailed it. The secret was oat flour!

Ingredients:
- 2 tbsp oat flour
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder (I used Perfect Fit- available through Tone It Up)
- 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup egg whites
- splash of almond milk (preferably unsweetened)
- 2 packets of Truvia (which is stevia...if you watch Breaking Bad... don't freak out)

Mix all ingredients together in a microwave safe mug. Place in the microwave for a minute and 30 sec. Keep your eye on it! Sometimes these babies like to rise out of the mug. If it needs more, add another 30 seconds. Plop that beauty onto a plate and top it with something yummy... like greek yogurt and dark chocolate chips! Or peanut butter! Not the healthiest choice... but the other night I topped mine with Trader Joe's Speculoos...aka heaven. It's cookie butter. If you've ever had Waffle Truck, you know what's up. Try it. You will love it. 
So that's what's up, folks. I'm here to provide my own personal recipes, fitness tips, workouts, stress management, etc... Anything that comes to mind to help you be a little less... hangry :)

2 comments:

  1. I'm pretty excited to read your blog! I follow you on IG and you inspire me everyday!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so excited that you're excited, Megan!! Thank you so much! xo

      Delete