Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Mint Chip Protein Mug Cake!

Confession: I pretty much have dessert every single night. But I always go for a healthier option, like fruit or dark chocolate... or red wine (it's a "superfood!"). My love for dessert is one of the reasons I've become so obsessed with making protein mug cakes.

Earlier this week I made a trip to my favorite store, Whole Foods, and picked up some peppermint extract. Mint chip ice cream is my favorite ice cream... so I thought, "why not recreate the flavor for a mug cake?!"

So tonight, before I sat down to watch the most screwed up episode of Pretty Little Liars ever (EZRA HOW COULD YOU?!), I whipped up this tasty concoction.

Mint Chip Protein Mug Cake!



I used a really narrow mug though, so it's laying on its side. Now it looks like one of those super delicious ice cream logs from Friendly's (that totally just sparked more ideas for mug cakes).

To make this protein mug cake you will need:

- 1 tbsp vanilla protein (I used Perfect Fit- available here http://perfectfitprotein.com)
- 2 tbsp oat flour. If you don't have oat flour or can't find it at your supermarket, just grind up some oatmeal in a food processor :)
- splash of unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup of egg whites
- 3-4 drops peppermint extract
- 1-2 tsp of cacao nibs, however much you prefer. I just sorta sprinkled mine in. If you don't have cacao nibs, use dark chocolate chips, though cacao is the healthier choice :)

Mix all ingredients together, pour into a pre-greased mug (like canola oil spray) and cook in the microwave for 1:30. Make sure you keep an eye on it! Sometimes they rise out of the mug! I frosted mine with greek yogurt that I sweetened with Truvia and topped with a few more cacao nibs.

Totally satisfied my sweet tooth! Enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment