Saturday, September 13, 2014

Hoop, There It Is

This might sound a little egotistical, but I find myself to be a pretty fascinating person. I am a woman of many hobbies. My interests and hobbies change like the seasons. This spring I was completely obsessed with kickboxing, last autumn I took cycle classes every other day. I'll have a month when all I want to do is make arts & crafts. I'll go through a period of binge watching Netflix shows and not give a hoot that I'm laying in bed all day.

I have recently picked up a new hobby for fit & fun reasons: hooping.

I came across hooping on Instagram through all the fitness accounts I follow. I saw girls with hoops as big as their bodies, hoops that were tiny and thin, hoops that were many colors, HOOPS HOOPS HOOPS.

I, being the 1999 block party hula hoop champion, was VERY interested. Hula hooping was one of my favorite ways to play outside as a kid. When I was in elementary school I used to practice hula hooping with two hoops, hooping on my arms, and hooping around my neck (ow, what was wrong with me?). I could hula hoop for 45 minutes straight (we timed it once). I considered ordering my own hoop so I could be like these awesome hoopers I saw on Instagram.

Then about 2 weeks ago I went to the gym around 9 pm. I never go at night because there is a whole 'nother breed of gym rat that creeps the gym at night. After the studio in my gym closed, a girl, with a hoop, walked into the studio, and began practicing her hooping routine.

I stared at this girl intently as I did squats outside that studio. She was probably very afraid of me. I definitely looked like the biggest creep.

I came home and announced to my parents, "I AM ORDERING A HULA HOOP." My parents originally reacted like, "Oh dear Lord" because the rest of my failed hobbies are collecting dust somewhere (i.e., my ukelele named Lola, my scrapbooking kit, my "teach yourself Italian" books).

Then my parents were totally supportive of it because 1) this is a pretty cheap hobby, 2) I was REALLY good at hula hooping back in the day, and 3) at least I'm not doing drugs.

So I did research, lots of research, before I ordered a hoop! You can't just go online and order a hoop or buy a kiddie hoop at Target and expect it to work for you. Also, don't buy a fitness hoop with those "massagers." I had to take my measurements, pick a hoop based on my height, pick a width that had some weight that was good for learning tricks, read the reviews of hoop sellers online, etc.

The best information I have found has come from hooplovers.tv. It is how I learned how to pick a hoop weight and size, and also where I have found hooping tutorials. Right here is where you can learn how to find the right size and weight if you want to hoop.

I then searched customizable hoops on Etsy to create my own hoop. I bought my hoop through Miss Fly Hips and I'm so pleased! The hoop I purchased is here.

Now if you decide to hoop, be prepared to see bruises! I hooped for 45 minutes yesterday and immediately got a bruise on my hip. But the good news is, my abs are on fire today (in the good way) and hooping is addicting! Every chance I get I picked up my hoop and practice.



I'm currently working on moving the hoop up and down my body, maintaining hooping at chest level, bringing my hands in and out of the hoop, and traveling with the hoop. Deanne Love has AMAZING tutorials for hooping that I have been watching and using to teach myself how to hoop. You can view her channel right here!

I knew hooping would be fun for me based on my level of fitness, my ability to waist hoop, and my background in modern dance. If hooping seems realistic for you, try it! If you haven't had much success with basic hooping and you're up for a challenge, then YES, try it!

Happy Hooping!


No comments:

Post a Comment