Wednesday, June 25, 2014

My 2014 BIKINI SERIES Story


For the completion of the Tone It Up 2014 BIKINI SERIES, I have chosen to submit my story, in 500 words or less (I really needed about 1,000 words- so this was hard), in order to be considered for the grand prize. I'd like to share my story with all of you, so you know why I am the way I am :)



The past two years have been the hardest years of my life. At the end of 2012, I went into what I called my “quarter life crisis.” I just graduated college and had typical “post-grad depression,” my grandmother suddenly passed away, I began graduate school, and I went through an incredibly rough, unexpected breakup. I felt like my life was falling apart and I could no longer feel happy. A typical night consisted of me driving home from school, crying the entire car ride home. I no longer felt like myself; I felt depressed every single day and anxiety attacks were a nightly occurrence.  I knew I had to be the one to take control of the problem and discover what would make me happier.

I thought to myself, “What am I no longer doing that I used to love?” And I realized I was working out significantly less. In college, they called me “Zumba Queen.” I was the fitness queen! I could be seen in the gym everyday and I taught Zumba class twice a week. But in the mess and stress of everything that was going on, I had gained 20 lbs. and saw in pictures that I looked completely different. I decided it was time to lose the weight and feel like me again.

It was during the 2013 Bikini Series that I discovered Tone It Up, dabbled in the workouts, and made an effort to begin running. I had never been a runner, so I started with interval running. By July, I had officially joined the TIU Nutrition Plan and started seeing, and feeling, results immediately.
A year later, I have lost the 20 lbs. I gained my senior year of college, and then some.  I also consider myself a runner now! I have ran four 5Ks and a 5-mile mud run! My goals are now to keep toning up.

I saw the 2014 Bikini Series as a celebration and the release from my quarter life crisis! The series was starting just as grad school was ending. In the past 8 weeks, I have watched my muscles transform and have found muscles in places I didn’t even know had muscles (right now I can’t stop staring at my shoulder muscles- they’re so cute)! I have run, kick boxed, and cycled my way complete 150 miles by summer! Next month, I am signing up for my first half marathon!!! I have gained so much more than a new body. I have gained back my self-confidence, happiness, and a fresh outlook on life. My skin is also clearer and GLOWING! The anxiety attacks and depression have disappeared and I feel like a different person than I was two years ago. It’s crazy to me that people will compliment how my body looks and tell me I’m an inspiration. When anyone asks me how I do it, I proudly say that I’m a TIU Girl! Being fit has made me a healthier, happier person. J


No comments:

Post a Comment